In Marshall “Eminem” Mathers’ 2000 opus, ‘The Real Slim Shady,’ the rapper quips, ‘You think I give a damn about a Grammy…?’ I must say I have to agree. Ever since the utter collapse of the Best New Artist category – SISQO was once nominated, people – I have lost any and all passion about this particular award.
It also helps that I am considerably more out of touch with music now than I was, say, when Sisqo was being nominated for the illustrious award. This week, the nominations for the 54th annual awards ceremony were released. There was some Rihanna (gross). Lots of Adele. A little indie folk group called Bon Iver. Sum 41 (they’re back?) scored a nod for Best Hard Rock/Metal, taking on super hardcore death-metal act Foo Fighters.
Lady Gaga ‘only’ got three nominations, but really. One was album of the year and one was best pop solo performance, so stop your crying, Little Monsters.
Speaking of crying, critics are saying Katy Perry’s two nominations constitute a ‘snub,’ which is sort of ridiculous. Yes, it’s catchy pop. Yes, she’s prolific. But since when does popularity demand critical acclaim, unless you are U2, Bruce Springsteen, or Green Day?
And that’s all the time I’ll devote to these particular awards, other than to read the winners on February 13 as I look ahead to the Oscars.
Today’s quiz has nothing to do with the Grammys, by the way. Just a potpourri. Happy Friday!
Friday Lyric Quiz #444
1. “Come out of the things unsaid Shoot an apple off my head” (early 2000s)
2. “Whatever happened to all this season’s losers of the year” (late 70s)
3. “You’re strange, insane, one thing you can never change” (mid-90s)
4. “I just lose control, down to my very soul, I get a hot and cold” (early 70s)
5. “And if I could be king, even for a day I’d take you as my queen I’d have it no other way” (mid-90s)
6. “I need a man who’ll take a chance on a love that burns hot enough to last” (late 80s)
7. “We’re smiling but we’re close to tears, even after all these years” (early 2010s)
8. “I’m so glad that he let me try it again, cause my last time on earth I lived a whole world of sin” (early 70s)
9. “In my shoes, a walking sleep And my youth I pray to keep” (mid-90s)
10. “When it’s good, then it’s good, it’s so good till it goes bad” (late 2000s)
Answers to Friday Lyric Quiz #443
1. “Even in the daylight, shine on, and when it’s late at night you can look inside – you won’t feel so alone” (late 2000s)
Light On, David Cook
2. “How come I’d never hear you say, ‘I just wanna be with you’? I guess you never felt that way…” (mid-2000s)
Since U Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson
3. “There might have been a time when I would let you slip away. I wouldn’t even try, but I think you could save my life” (early 2010s)
Whataya Want From Me, Adam Lambert
4. “But somehow I’m still alive inside, you took my breath, but I survived” (late 2000s)
No Air, Jordin Sparks
5. “So why does your pride make you run and hide Are you that afraid of me” (late 2000s)
Wait For You, Elliott Yamin
6. “Blowin’ away, blowin’ away, can make this something good? Cause it’s all misunderstood.” (mid-2000s)
It’s Not Over, DAUGHTRY
7. “I’m over your hands, and I’m over your mouth. Trying to drag me down and fill me with self doubt” (late 2000s)
Over It, Katharine McPhee
8. “If hearts were unbreakable, then I could just tell you where I stand, I would be the smartest man” (early 2000s)
Invisible, Clay Aiken
9. “You got me hypnotized, so mesmerized, and I’ve just got to know ” (late 2000s)
Crush, David Archuleta
10. “Right now, he’s probably buying her some fruity little drink ’cause she can’t shoot whiskey” (mid-2000s)
Before He Cheats, Carrie Underwood