Though you wouldn’t know it by my youthful exuberance, I’m rounding out my 30s. In fact, this year (specifically, today) I’m headed to my 20-year high school reunion. I spent ninth through twelfth grade at an all-girls’ school in Chattanooga, Tennessee after being transplanted from my hometown in Southern Illinois.
It was a bit of a shock to the system. I didn’t understand why no one else had a Dukakis/Bentsen sticker on their locker.
And yet, I found my groove, made some good friends and connections, and have almost entirely fond memories. There were only 91 ladies in my graduating class, so we all sort of know each other. Some I’ve kept in close contact with and others haven’t seen me since I looked like the attached photo.
What I do know is that I have better hair now. Marginally better musical taste. And that now, we are all of legal drinking age.
I’ll report back on the goings-on sometime next week. Until then, enjoy these 10 cuts from my graduating year — 1992 — when colored denim was in, political campaigns were revving to a fever pitch, and people couldn’t stop talking about Whitney Houston. So I guess not much has changed.
Friday Lyric Quiz #459 [scroll down for answers to last week’s quiz]
1. “Then you’ll know how it was meant to be, see the signs and know their meaning.”
2. “But now you’ve come along and brightened up my world, in my heart I feel it, I’m that special kind of girl.”
3. “But a v8 engine is a good start for me. Think I’ll drive to find a place, to be surly.”
4. “Although I am black and proud, problems got me pessimistic.”
5. “I’m living in an empty room, with all the windows smashed.”
6. “I’m your average ordinary everyday dude, drivin’ with my baby, to get her in the mood.”
7. “People try to say I act a little funny, but that’s just a figure of speech to me.”
8. “And I’ll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the rain.”
9. “She sees my good deeds and she kisses me windy.”
10. “Time can break your heart, have you begging please … begging please.”
Answers to Friday Lyric Quiz #458
1. “I took her out, it was a Friday night, I wore cologne, to get the feeling right.” (late 90s)
What’s My Age Again, blink-182
2. “Friday night, I’m going nowhere, all the lights are changing green to red.” (early 2000s)
Babylon, David Gray
3. “Oh Lawdy mama, those Friday nights, when Suzie wore her dresses tight.” (early 70s)
Crocodile Rock, Elton John
4. “Think I need a ginger ale, that was such an epic fail.” (early 2010s)
Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.), Katy Perry
5. “Friday night we’ll dance the spotlight grind, stop time heart for me if she’s not mine.” (early 80s)
Freeze Frame, J. Geils Band
6. “7:45, we’re drivin’ down the highway, cruisin’ so fast, I want time to fly.” (early 2010s)
Friday, Rebecca Black
7. “Throwing out your frown, and just smiling at the sound.” (early 90s)
Friday, I’m in Love, The Cure
8. “It’s Friday night and she’s all alone, he’s a million miles away.” (early 2000s)
Flavor of the Weak, American Hi-Fi
9. “It’s Friday night, and I feel all right, the party is here on the West side.” (mid-90s)
This is How We Do It, Montell Jordan
10. “Friday night arrives without a suitcase.” (late 60s)
Lady Madonna, The Beatles