As I write this (7 p.m. on Thursday evening), I am enjoying 20 minutes (and only 20 — rush rush!!) of complimentary WiFi service in Chicago’s Midway Airport. I’ve been here for three hours — three more to go — thanks to a blizzard that descended upon us just in time for New Year’s travel.
On the plus side, I have my Kindle, a couple of good books, a comfy chair (until I need to use the bathroom and inevitably lose it … ), and a carry-out Guinness from Reilly’s Daughter (quite possibly the world’s best airport bar).
Friday morning update: I sat around for lit’ rally 10 hours until my flight was cancelled. At least I wasn’t among those traveling with small children. Yikes!
Anyway, let’s make lemonade (or a shandy) out of lemon ice and parlay this into a lyric quiz theme, yes? All of the clips below are from songs dealing with the topics of snow, ice, winter, numbed extremities, freezing to death, etc.
Hopefully I’m able to send this in the morning and am not still sitting here. (Note: see update above.)
1. “Love is a bird, she needs to fly, let all the hurt inside you die ” (late ’90s)
2. “From the coastline to the city, all the little pretties raise their hands” (mid-’70s)
3. “Seasons change with their scenery, weaving time in a tapestry” (mid ’60s, late ’80s)
4. “We, used to be, just like twins, so in sync” (late ’00s)
5. “You’re digging for gold yet throwing away, a fortune in feelings but someday you’ll pay” (early ’70s)
6. “Step from the road to the sea to the sky, and I do believe that we rely on” (mid-’00s)
7. “Well, maybe just a cigarette more … Oh, never such a blizzard before” (early ’60s)
8. “I’m the burning bush, I’m the burning fire, I’m the bleeding volcano” (early ’80s)
9. “Gonna take her home cause she’s over romancing, don’t wanna hold hands and talk about her plans alright” (mid-’00s)
10. “She bit my lip and drank my warmth, from years before, from years before” (mid-’00s)
Answers to Friday Lyric Quiz #469 [Hits of 2013]
1. “I put it in park and grabbed my guitar, and strummed a couple chords and sang from the heart”
Cruise, Florida Georgia Line f/ Nelly
2. “I just know I know I know I know that you’re gonna be OK anyway”
The Wire, Haim
3. “Remember only God can judge ya, forget the haters, ’cause somebody loves ya”
We Can’t Stop, Miley Cyrus
4. “The present has no ribbon. Your gift keeps on giving.”
Get Lucky, Daft Punk f/ Pharrell
5. “Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin’ the hotel room”
6. “Pop culture was in art, now art’s in pop culture in me”
Applause, Lady Gaga
7. “A constellation of tears on your lashes, burn everything you love, then burn the ashes”
My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light ‘Em Up), Fall Out Boy
8. “What do they make dreams for, when you got them jeans on”
Blurred Lines, Robin Thicke f/ Pharrell and T.I.
9. “Oh, tear ducts and rust, I’ll fix it for us, we’re collecting dust, but our love’s enough”
Just Give me a Reason, Pink f/ Nate Ruess
10. “Stinging like a bee I earned my stripes, I went from zero, to my own hero”
Roar, Katy Perry